Friday Night on the Patio

Posted by mrssmythe on June 23, 2014 in Camping, Family, On the Home Front, Seasons |

DSCN3160

Friday night at the Smythe house – time to light the tiki torches and grab some marshmallows.
DSCN3173

With a good dose of woodsmoke and plenty of bug spray, we’re able to push back the mosquitoes long enough to enjoy some quality time in the backyard.
DSCN3178

This is one of my favorite ways to pass an evening. Loads of fireflies. Often some bats. And a sprinkling of stars.DSCN3186

By the end of the evening, we’re all pleasantly sleepy and our clothes have that nice bug spray/woodsmoke smell that always makes me think of camping. It’s funny how smells can trigger memories. I told CPT America I wished someone would make a candle with “campfire” scent. It would smell like woodsmoke and citronella and marshmallow all rolled up into one. I would burn that candle all the time.

From the dining room table, getting ready to watch the rest of the pollinators documentary because we weren’t able to finish it all the first night,

Tags: ,

• TeaLady says:

It doesn’t get dark in Idaho until way past 10:00, and we’re fast asleep by then, having to get up at 4:00 a.m. Miss those evenings on the porch at dusk….. Thanks for sharing your evening with us! Love your red mini barn – would make such a lovely chicken house (I dislike the word “coop”!)

Don’t mention chickens. CPT America was just talking about them the other day. He said something along the lines of, “Now that the yard is fenced…”
      That’s crazy to think it stays light so late there. It’s already dark here and it’s only 9:00. However, it gets light pretty early (five-ish) and the dogs start to wake up, demanding breakfast. That’s the only down side to longer summer days, in my opinion.

Ooh, it sounds (and looks) all kinds of fabulous . . . except maybe for the bats. I enjoy looking at the fellows through glass, but I’m not sure I’d like to invite them over for a marshmallow roast.

Thankfully, we’ve only had a bat in the house once. The cats found it and then we had to call fish and game. I don’t mind them so much if they stay outside. They help keep the mosquitoes down, which is something we definitely need around here!

• IrishMum says:

Looks perfect!

It was a lot of fun. We need to do it again before the fireflies are gone for the season.