Fighting Winter with Color and Crafting

Posted by mrssmythe on March 13, 2017 in Art, Baking, Crafting, Garden, Seasons, Week in Review |

Snow, snow, snow. That’s all anyone was talking about today.

Snow last week, and snow on the way. This in addition to frigid temperatures and incredible winds. It’s a lot to take in on a day when you’ve lost an hour’s sleep to Daylight Savings Time.

Coffee helps. Even crocheted coffee.

Here’s a little cup that I put together this week for Ginger. The last cup I made turned out more like a pitcher, so I found a thinner sock yarn and started again – this time with much better results.

Ginger is accumulating quite a collection of crocheted food!

In other news, we took down the rest of the tree that split and blew over last week.

I imagine the wildlife is pretty disgusted with us. Even though the thing was dead and rotting, it was home to loads of critters. Unfortunately, it was also dangerous, so down it came. CPT A estimates it was about seventy years old.

The stump was filled with ice crystals and chestnuts.

And, this Eastern-Eyed Click Beetle was also in residence. He wasn’t pleased with our meddling.

Now, we have quite a bit of wood to dispose of. Ginger is hoping we’ll wait a bit, though. She’s having fun playing on the remaining trunks.

I’m pleased to report that tree felling did not interfere with crafting. I managed to weave in all the pesky yarn ends that were cluttering up the back side of my Fireside Throw.

The project is now officially finished and has already been put to use keeping various family members cozy while movie-watching in the evenings.

As far as using up yarn, though – it didn’t make as large of a dent as I had expected (partly because I bought more yarn for the project when I wanted some additional colors). I still have a pretty good selection of acrylics that I’m now eyeing for scarves.

Also on the crafting agenda – a project involving granny squares inspired by art prints…

…which sounds a lot like my last project. But this time the yarn is a lot thinner and the project is about half the size of the throw. I think, mainly, I’m trying to find an excuse to keep working with those calendar pages – they continue to inspire me.

And, finally, Pepper completed her last lesson in the Great Courses “Every Day Gourmet” on-line cooking class. We celebrated by whipping up a batch of apple turnovers…

which felt a little like cheating because we used commercial puffed pastry (as specified in the recipe), but the results were delicious, and I’m sure we’ll be making another round soon.

So, that brings you up to date. Ahead for us in the coming week: more snow, more crafting, and probably more apple turnovers. Not a bad agenda…except, maybe, for the snow.

From the dining room table, getting ready to sit down with a nice cup of tea,

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

• rooth says:

That crochet turkey!!

• Aunt Barb says:

I really like the coloring on the Beetle. Sort of a mixed denim on tan. Perhaps you can be inspired to crochet with some mixed textures? Huh? :}

Hmmm…the Beetle Blanket. Definite possibilities! Thanks for the suggestion. 😉 You’re right – though. You can really get some great inspiration from the colors in nature…not just art.

• mooshie says:

Your crafting in beautiful!! You are getting the wind we had last week,
    It’s no fun at all!

Thank you Moosh! 🙂 Hopefully the winds won’t be too bad during the storm. We aren’t supposed to get it as strong as the coast, thankfully!

• Granda Marian says:

glad to hear you’re bearing the snowstorms well. Stay warm. Love your flower throw. Looks nice for sitting in front of the fire with a good book too.

We’ll do our best! The grocery store was hopping today with everyone laying in supplies for the storm. They’re predicting 12-20 inches for us. Thank you for the kind words about the throw! 🙂

• Amanda says:

I would take one of those apple turnovers with my coffee right now…

• Jenn M says:

I have been enjoying seeing what kind of food comes off your hooks: the turkey is my favourite so far, followed by the coffee.
    The blanket looks great: like a patch of blossoms. It’s true that scrap busting projects just seem to breed new projects. I have a few of those myself! Sometimes you just want to see the end of a particular yarn though.
    Hope your snow doesn’t last too long,
    Jenn

Thanks, Jenn! The turkey is my favorite, too! And, as for the snow – that’s exactly how I feel. They’re predicting 12-20 inches, though, so I’m not sure how quickly it will melt. We don’t normally get snow like this this late in the season. Winter seems to be making up for its mild kick-off this year.