This Mothers’ Day, I sat down at the dining room table and spent several hours playing with a beading kit I’d picked up some weeks back. It was at a bargain store and very inexpensive. One of the projects was this necklace.
I love it. It’s light, easy to wear, and goes with several things in my closet. However…
The string provided in the kit didn’t fit very easily through the holes in the beads, so the whole project took much longer than it should have, and I was reminded (again) that you often pay in other ways when you go the “cheap” route. In this case, I paid in time.
But, I’m still happy with the necklace, and I’ll be doing more beading, I’m sure, in the coming months.
In other news, we’ve been sweltering here in Western Massachusetts. The past two days have been 90 degrees +.
The animals just lay around and pant. Even the chickens.
The only pet loving the heat wave is the Beta, who perks up whenever the weather turns warmer.
He seems to be enjoying the new hydroponic habitat Ginger put together for him. She planted a coffee plant in the top portion, and so far, both the fish and the plant are doing well. I think the fish will like it even more when the plant’s roots grow a bit.
It’s been too hot, for sure, to work on my granny square afghan, but I thought I’d spread it out on the bed to show you how it’s progressing. I’m in the final stretch now and am rapidly running out of yarn – which was the whole point of the project, so that’s a good thing. It reminds me a bit of a braided rug.
Outside, the plants are responding positively to the warmer days. The giant allium have opened.
And the chives are on the verge of doing the same.
The strawberry plants haven’t minded the heat, and are much improved since we removed them from the chicken area to a more protected spot on the patio.
And, we discovered what that strange “growth” on the cactus was.
It’s an emerging “arm”. What a wild looking thing that is! It’s been fun watching it “open up”.
And, finally, despite the heat, Ginger and I, trying valiantly to keep up with the chickens’ enthusiastic egg production, made a Sunshine Cake from a recipe we found in the Fannie Farmer baking book. Eight eggs, a bit of flour, some sugar, and little else.
It was wonderfully light and fluffy but a bit bland. Next time, we’ll add some frosting.
From the dining room table, getting ready to head out to the porch with a book (where it’s cooler!),